Guidelines for Cosmetic Product Registration in Dubai UAE
Introduction:The program concerning cosmetics guarantees that better protect customer wellbeing is maintained. Indeed, a few steps are required to be taken by the importers, suppliers, distributors, retailers, customers as well as any concerned party so that the safety of the cosmetic products is revealed as well as the approval of the product labeling is retained. Mainly, the cosmetic product put on the Dubai Community market must not cause harm/damage to human health when the product is applied under reasonably or normal foreseeable condition’s of use, considering, specifically, of the product’s presentation, it’s labeling, any guidelines or instructions for its use and disposal and also any other information or indication given by the authorized agent or by some other person responsible for placing the product in the Dubai Community market.
Objective:The first objective of the cosmetic product safety process is to maintain public health and safety through executing an effective regulatory controls system and to promote public awareness of the critical of the safety procedures of cosmetics implemented. The guideline describes the requirements for the cosmetic product registration procedure.
What is Cosmetic Product Registration?
Since consumer safety is the essential principle of product registration, its procedure allows the CPSS (Consumer Products Safety Section) to gather adequate information to assess the safety of products.
It is important to emphasize that no product shall be manufactured, imported, exported, advertised, sold, or distributed in Dubai unless it has been registered per Dubai Municipality regulation.
The Registration Regulation: The Dubai Government regulates the manufacturing, selling, and importing of cosmetic products by requiring that each cosmetic product be registered preceding to place in the Dubai market; also by requiring the individuals running the activities relevant to cosmetics to be licensed in Dubai.
Legitimate Illustrative Aspect of Registration
Cosmetic: A cosmetic product will mean any preparation or substance intended to be placed in contact with the different external parts of the human body (epidermis, nails, lips, hair system as well as external genital organs) or with the teeth and the mucous layers of the oral cavity with a view mainly or exclusively to clean them, perfume them, changing their appearance as well as correcting body odors and additionally protecting them or keeping them in a good condition.
Functions for Cosmetics Products:
- To clean
- To perfume
- To change the appearance
- To protect
- To keep in good condition
- To correct body odors
The Field of Application of Cosmetics:
- The epidermis
- The nail
- The lips
- The hair system
- The external genital organs
- The teeth
- The mucous membranes (this is of the oral cavity)
Illustrative List of Cosmetics:
The following list is not exhaustive but is provided by way of example:
- Creams, lotions, emulsions, oils and gels for the skin (face, hands, feet, etc.)
- Face masks (except for peeling products)
- Tinted bases (liquids, pastes, powders)
- Make-up powders, after-shower powders, hygienic powders, etc.
- Toilet soaps, deodorant soaps, etc.
- Perfumes, toilet waters as well as cologne
- Bath as well as shower preparations (foams, salts, gels, oils, etc.)
- Deodorants and anti-per spirants
- Hair care products:
- Hair tints and bleaches
- Product for fixing, straightening and waving
- Setting products
- Cleansing products (shampoos, lotions, powders)
- Conditioning products (oils, creams, lotions)
- Hairdressing products (brilliantine’s, lacquers, lotions)
- Shaving products (creams, foams, lotions)
- Products for making up and removing make-up from the face and eyes
- Products intended for application to the lips
- Products for care of the teeth and mouth
- Products for nail care and make-up
- Products for external intimate hygiene
- Sunbathing products
- Products for tanning without sun
- Skin-whitening products
- Anti-wrinkle products
Borderline Products: The status of numerous products on the borderline between cosmetics and medicine will be referred to as the consumer products committee at Dubai Municipality. Medicinal products might not be placed in the UAE market except a marketing product license or authorization from the Ministry of Health (MOH)
Who Should Apply for Registration?
Individuals who import or locally manufacture cosmetic products or have products manufactured or imported on their behalf.
- Local Manufactures: Agents of local manufacturers will take the required steps to guarantee that cosmetic products that are intended for a local market are registered before the manufactured products are placed into the Dubai market.
- Foreign Manufactures: Agents of foreign manufacturers will take the required steps to guarantee that cosmetic products that are intended for a local market are registered before consignments/transfers of such products are imported to Dubai. In case of any violation in this regard, the consignment/transfer of the unregistered product would be cleared once just with a warning.
- Criteria of Candidate: The candidate for product registration should have a company incorporated in Dubai, or just have a warehouse in Dubai as well as having a trade license in Dubai that indicate activities related to the cosmetics.
- Responsibility of Candidate: The candidate will be responsible for the product, its safety, performance, and also all the information to support his application for product registration.
How to Start the Registration Process?
The candidates must apply for labeling assessment for their products category wise. Thusly, the candidate must give the Consumer Products Safety Section test of every product category or the label designing slip of the product along with the candidate’s details. When Consumer Products Safety Section reviews the requirements of the labeling, it issues Cosmetic Labeling Assessment Report that will contain products description as well as the details along with the remarks for modifying the label if required.
What are the Registration Steps?
The candidate should have a product database. It must also include candidate’s details such as:
- Company Name
- Address of the company
- P.O. Box
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Representative Name
- Mobile Number
- Product details
The candidate should follow the instructions for Cosmetic Labeling Assessment. Below are the following instructions:
- Serial Number
- Product name
- Brand name
- Country of Origin
- Batch Number
- Bar Code
- Manufacturer Detail
- Production Date
- Expiry Date
- Period After Opening
- Storage Condition
- Health Warnings
- Instruction of Use
- Medical Claims
- Inconsistent Illustrations must be filled with (YES) if the information is available on the product or with (X) if the information is not available
- Shelf-life and remarks
The following are the Documents Required for Cosmetic Product Registration:
- Valid trade license with a related activity
- Free Sale Certificate (A document that indicates that the product is freely sold in the country of origin, issued or attested by Governmental authorities in the Country of Origin)
- Analysis report (e.g. pH, odor, color…. etc.)
- Laboratory Test Report from a country of origin (if available)
- Ingredients report (amount of each ingredient with percentage or concentration and CAS Number)
- Goods Manufacturing Practices (GMP) Certificate
- Two Samples of each product category and the label designing slip of the product
- Product Packaging Art Work
- Product Description
- The ingredient list in excel format
Important Documents to Accompany Application Forms
- Certificate of Free Sales (CFS): The certificate should be from the country of origin and must be issued by the health authorities or the recognized bodies. The Certificate of Free Sales must be present at the time of submission and the request is to be made for the original Certificate of Free Sale. In case the product name to be marketed in Dubai is not the same as the Certificate of Free Sales, a confirmation letter id required from the product owner. A Certificate of Free Sales (CFS) is a report/document indicating that the product is freely sold in the country. Certificate of Free Sales has to be authorized by the UAE embassy.
- Health Certificate: The certificate should be from the country of origin and it must be issued by the health authorities or recognized bodies. The Health Certificate should be present at the time of submission and request shall be made for the original Health Certificate to be seen. A Health certificate is a report/document indicating that the product is safe for human being use. Health Certificate should be authorized by the UAE Embassy.
- Coverage of the Mandatory Standard: The compulsory information standards applies to cosmetics imported in or manufactured into Dubai from November 2006 onwards.
What are the Requirements of Labeling Mandatory Standard?
The compulsory information standard requires the product ingredients must be listed on the container or in the product itself, if the product is not packed in the container. It’s expected that the information shall be available at the time products are at the entry point. Where the products or the container is of shape, size, or nature that prevents ingredient labeling by any of the above methods, the compulsory information standard requires that the information must be shown in a way that allows the consumers to be informed about the product. This might be achieved, e.g., by using swing tags, brochures, leaflets.
The followings are the important and required components that should be declared in clear Arabic or English language:
- Product name
- Brand name of the product
- Manufacturer detail
- Country of origin
- Size or Weight of the product
- Production Date
- Expiry Date
- Period After Opening (PAO)
- Storage conditions
- Instructions of use
- Health warning notes
- Code Industrial number of the product (Bar-Code)
- Batch number
- Medical claims are not allowed
- Pictures, illustrations that are inconsistent with the prevailing social customs and values shall not be used.
Note: Either Health Certificate or Free Sale Certificate is required to complete the application process for certain countries
- Laboratory Test Report: A test report which indicates the content of certain heavy metals that includes Cadmium, Chromium, Lead, Arsenic, Zinc, Mercury and preservatives, and microbiology test form authorized laboratory either from Dubai Central Laboratory or from the Country of Origin is compulsory. Each accredited laboratories worldwide are available under the website URL: www.ilac.org.
- Analysis Report: The report should be obtained from the Manufacturing Company of the product. This report gives all the important information concerning ingredients, physical and chemical properties of the products.
- A Guide for Labeling Cosmetic Products: This guide gives an overview of the compulsory requirements for cosmetic labeling. It expects to increment concerned individual comprehension of the coverage as well as the application of the compulsory standard. One must always seek professional advice to make sure their products comply with the compulsory requirements.
- Product labeling: Compliance with the information/data standard is compulsory. Each concerned person including retailers, distributors, wholesalers, suppliers, importers, and manufacturers are obliged to guarantee their products comply with the required information standard.
- Change or Amendments in Registration Particulars: After the approval of the cosmetic product, any subsequent amendment or revision in specifics of the application relevant to the cosmetic product should be informed or approved by the Consumer Products Safety Section.
- The validity of the Cosmetic Product Registration: The cosmetic product registration will be valid for 5 years.
- Product Recall or review: The aim of product recall or review is to efficiently and promptly retrieve Bar Code/ Batch of the product which does not comply with requirements of the registration, or that might have an undesirable effect on the human beings. The decision for the product recall might be made when there is or might be a risk to the cosmetic consumer. Recalls can be started through at the request with the Dubai Municipality, or other related authorities for the product recall.
We at MSZ corporate services provider will stand behind you and guide you at each step with our knowledge and experience. We will ensure that you get 100% satisfaction with our services. For cosmetic product registration, call us on +971562181007 or drop a mail to email@example.com