What is an Emirates ID and how to get it?
Emirates ID (Identity Document) is a document card given by the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (FAIC). It is a legal necessity for all UAE residents and citizens to apply for one and they must carry the Emirates ID with them always. The Emirates ID is used:
- to vote in the elections of Federal National Council
- to travel document for UAE citizens to travel within the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council)
- to get government services
- as a document to enter immigration through the smart gates and eGates and smart at several airports in the UAE
How to get an Emirates ID?
To get an Emirates ID card, the candidate needs to fill the eForm at one of the authorized typing centers or by the online form accessible on the website of Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship. An SMS having information about where and when to enlist will follow the application. The candidate should continue to the enrollment center mentioned in the SMS to complete the systems.
- UAE nationals
- GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) nationals living in the UAE
- Expat residents
What are the benefits of an Emirates ID?
- An ID card is compulsory for each citizen as well as for legal residence
- Verification and identification according to International Standards
- Secure individual’s identity
- Can be used to get to Secure eServices
- Gives Identity Information
- Stores numerous ID applications in future
- Secures fraud and identity theft
- Convenient personal database
Documents required for New Emirates IDIf the individual is a UAE national or a GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) citizen, he/she will need the following documents
- Completed application form
- Valid passport original
- Valid family book original (UAE National)
- Proof of residency
For children who are under 15 years of age:
- A visit to the Registration Centers is not required; passport size pictures with a white background can be submitted instead
- Bio-metric information is not required; his/her bio-metric information will be captured upon applying for a renewal of their ID card, given that he/she is 15 years or older.
- ID cards for newborns need the submission of the birth certificate copy also the aforementioned document requirements. It also requires an ID card of the parents.
If the individual is over the age of 70 years. Get social welfare or have additional requirements:
- He/she is exempt from the extra charges of services related to the ID however not the delay charges
- Clients who are with special needs are exempted from the extra services charges also the ID charges however not the delay charges
- Clients with extra needs are required to present a proof of disability certificated copy by their doctors
- Clients who get social welfare are required to present proof of social welfare status copy (Only for UAE National)